Author: Adam Ehrlich Sachs
“[An] intellect with the timing of a borscht belt comedian” (Publishers
Weekly), acclaimed author Adam Ehrlich Sachs brings his unique comic and
philosophical sensibilities to his first novel, The Organs of Sense, an
intricate nested fable equating our inability to truly understand the world
with our inability to understand our own messy families. In 1666, an
astronomer makes a prediction shared by no one else in the world: At the
stroke of noon on June 30 of that year, a solar eclipse will cast all of
Europe into total darkness for four seconds. This astronomer is rumored to
be using the largest telescope ever built, but he is also known to be
blind—both his eyes have been plucked out under mysterious circumstances.
Is he mad? Or does he, despite this impairment, have an insight denied the
other scholars of his day? These questions intrigue the young Gottfried
Wilhelm Leibniz—not yet the world-renowned polymath who would go on to
discover calculus, but a nineteen-year-old whose faith in reason is shaky
at best. Leibniz sets off to investigate the astronomer’s claim, and in the
three hours before the eclipse occurs—or fails to occur—the astronomer
tells the scholar the story behind his strange prediction: a tale that ends
up encompassing kings and princes, family squabbles, insanity, art, loss,
and the horrors of war.
- 50% of the profits from this book will be donated under our Books for Charity programme. For the first and second quarter of the year, we will be donating to Lakeside Family Services' Reading Intervention Services. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books using plastic-free packaging.
- Orders from Singapore above S$20 are eligible for free local next-day delivery services.
- All orders are packed and dispatched within 2-7 business days. Business days are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
- Vendor: Thryft x Books for Charity
- ISBN: 9780374227371
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.