Author: Elizabeth Gray Vining
Synopsis: A fascinating inside account of the formative years of Akihito, the reigning Emperor of Japan, written by his trusted Amer. tutor, the late Elizabeth Gray Vining. During the U.S. Occupation of Japan after WW2, the director of the U.S. educ. advisory mission to Japan recommended Mrs. Vining to 'open windows onto a wider world for the Crown Prince'. Mrs. Vining was born into an old Quaker family in Phila. in 1902. In 1946, Japanese Emperor Hirohito selected Mrs. Vining to be a tutor for the Crown Prince, the future Emperor Akihito, a position she held for 4 years. She was eventually to be a tutor to most of the Imperial Family, including Empress Nagako. After returning to the U.S., Mrs. Vining maintained a close, lifelong relationship with the family. Ill. "About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
- 50% of the profits from this book will be donated under our Books for Charity programme. For the first and second quarter of the year, we will be donating to Lakeside Family Services' Reading Intervention Services. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books using plastic-free packaging.
- Orders from Singapore above S$20 are eligible for free shipping.
- All orders will be dispatched within 7 business days (Monday through Friday, excluding holidays).
- Vendor: Thryft x Books for Charity
- ISBN: 9780804816045
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.