This fourth edition provides an in-depth, up-to-date, chronological analysis of Japan's current political system and the contributions of its leaders. It emphasizes why Japan and its politics matters in a global society. * Ideal for college courses on Japanese or comparative politics as well as for those interested in Japanese war memory, constitutional revision, and Japan's relationship with the US, China, and North and South Korea * Investigates the divided aspects existing below the veneer of consensus in Japanese politics * Explores conflicts between power-hungry political groups as well as fundamental differences regarding Japan's constitution, the interpretation of Japanese actions in the Asia-Pacific War, and Japan's place in today's world * Advocates a system that readily permits changes of party in power for the present system dominated by the Liberal Democratic Party * Examines the extreme statements of high profile politicians to determine whether a "nationalist resurgence" in Japan is real or not * Sheds light on the official incompetence and the spectacular rise of civil society following the Kobe earthquake * Features numerous Japanese sources
Author: J. A. A. Stockwin
Number of Pages: 320
Publication Date: 04 Apr 2008
- 10% of the profits from this book will be donated under Our Sustainability Commitment.
- For the first and second quarter of the year, we will be donating to Morning Star Community Services CareNights programme. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books using plastic-free packaging.
- Orders from Singapore above S$20 are eligible for free local next-day delivery services.
- All orders are packed and dispatched within 2-7 business days. Business days are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
- Vendor: Thryft Singapore
- ISBN: 9781405154161
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.