Author: Timothy Kusky
A tsunami is a seismic sea wave generated by a sudden displacement of the seafloor, commonly caused by earthquakes, landslides, and volcanic eruptions. Tsunamis are also commonly called tidal waves, although they have nothing to do with tides. Every few years, these giant sea waves rise unexpectedly out of the ocean and sweep over coastal communities, killing hundreds or thousands of people and causing millions of dollars in damage.""Tsunamis"" discusses the many aspects of the generation, movement, and effects of tsunamis. Helpful analysis of the triggering mechanisms for tsunamis, the physics and historical effects, the various warning systems, and individual cases of tsunamis around the world are provided in this informative book. Detailed black-and-white photographs and illustrations and coverage of the greatest tsunami of recorded history, the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, are also included.Chapters include: Triggering Mechanisms for Tsunamis; Physics of Tsunami Movement; Waves Similar to Tsunamis; Historical Tsunami Disasters; The Indian Ocean Tsunami of December 26, 2004; and, Reducing the Threat from Tsunamis.
- 100% of the profits from this book goes to our partner under our Partners for Change programme. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books using plastic-free packaging.
- Orders from Singapore above S$15 are eligible for free shipping.
- Orders from Malaysia are eligible for flat rate shipping of RM29.90 MYR.
- All orders will be dispatched within 7 business days (Monday through Friday, excluding holidays).
- Vendor: Books Beyond Borders x Thryft
- ISBN: 9780816064649
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.